In and out. We breathe twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week without even thinking about it. Breathing gives life without us being conscious of the process of respiration. We are simply doing without thinking.
In Aikido we emphasize becoming self-aware. This practice begins with being aware of our breath. Each class begins with breath. Here are some benefits to becoming aware of your breath:
· Mindful breathing lets us enter a state of calm control. Learning to breathe deeply in our diaphragm gives power.
· Our breath is cleansing in the same way that a car’s workings are cleansed when its oil is changed. The old oil is removed and new oil put in giving the car a smooth ride. Our exhaling and inhaling removes the old and replenishes with the new.
· Our breath gives rhythm to our task. This is seen in the rhythm of Aikido’s powerful, explosive moves.
· Our breath gives us energy and power without having to put our body in a state of tension.
· Our breath calms and settles our thoughts and emotions preparing us for the lessons we are about to learn.
At the dojo, we begin with breath in every class. This is not just a warm-up. It is a preparation for doing Aikido with self-awareness. And this self-awareness continues in our everyday lives whenever we are aware of our breath. Releasing tension, calm power, can help us on our journey through life.
We invite you to come to Emerald City Aikido for an introductory class and experience for yourself the calm control that can take place in you through breathing exercises. And you can see how the breathing exercises prepare you for both the fluid aikido movements and for smooth everyday life. We look forward to meeting you and welcoming you to our dojo.